Long distance relationships are more common than ever, thanks to online dating apps, social media, and the pandemic. Love from a distance can be romantic, frustrating, exciting, even tedious at times.
But what counts as long distance, exactly? Are long distance relationships healthy? How can you keep your long distance love burning bright across the miles?Join us as we dive into the subject of these special relationships, their pros and cons, and how to make long-distance love last.
What Is A Long Distance Relationship?
A long distance relationship isn't defined by a certain number of miles. If you're wondering what counts at long distance, think of it this way: if geographical location prevents you from seeing each other as often as you'd like, then you're in a long distance relationship.
You may see each other a few times a month or a few times a year, or even less. But no matter how often you see each other, one thing holds true -- you both wish it was more often.
Are Long Distance Relationships Healthy?
All relationships come with challenges, but a relationship conducted from a distance is unique. You and your partner can't be there in person to support each other, be intimate, or spend time together on weekends or after work.
But make no mistake — long distance relationships can be healthy and fulfilling. To remain happy and connected across the miles will take effort from you and your partner, and the ability to withstand a certain amount of loneliness and frustration. You may find that you'll be rewarded with a special bond that can outlast time apart and make being together that much sweeter.
How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work
Short of keeping a private plane at the ready or moving to be near your faraway bae, how can you make a long distance relationship work? Check out these separation-busting tips and tricks:
- Be positive. If both you and your partner believe you can overcome the obstacles, the distance between you will seem less daunting. A can-do, in-it-together attitude goes a long way toward keeping you close and in love while you await your next reunion.
- Take advantage of technology. From FaceTime to long distance relationship bracelets to Bluetooth sex toys you can control from anywhere, technology is a long-distance couple's best friend. Tech gadgets can make you feel less alone and erase the miles that separate you, at least temporarily. See, hear, and watch each other's facial expression on video chat, share a pair of touch lights that glow when you or your partner touch them, or swap bracelets that vibrate on your bae's wrist at the press of a fingertip. Check out the growing variety of sex toys that can be operated from anywhere, and keep your physical spark alive no matter how distant your SO may be.
- Commit yourselves. Like all relationships, long distance love takes commitment, time, and effort. But frequent separation also requires the ability to push through lonely times and keep your eyes on the prize, which is more time with each other. While you're apart, commit to frequent conversations, phone dates, and texting to keep you in touch and informed about each other's day to day lives.
- Make plans. Give yourselves events, trips, and fun outings to look forward to by making plans while you're apart. Having specific dates for visits or activities can make the time go more quickly, and give you specific fun things to research and prepare for.
- Do date night. Just because you're not together doesn't mean you can't do a weekly date night! Make the same dinner and eat together over video chat with candles and wine, watch the same movie together, take turns reading a book aloud to each other, have sexy time, learn a language together, or stream live music as if you were enjoying the show together. Long distance relationship games can include cards, Monopoly, or just about any board game where you can move pieces for each other.
- Give each other gifts. Show your partner how much you miss them with tokens of love and appreciation. Great long distance relationship gifts can include flowers, a cooking or art class, a dual zone watch so you can see the time in your partner's location, a gift box of wine, coffee, or their favorite treat, or a gift card to a restaurant they love.
- Send each other long distance relationship songs. There's no shortage of great songs about pining for a faraway love. Send each other videos, songs from streaming services, or a recording of you singing their favorite love song on Valentine's Day or their birthday.
- Work out together. Take your significant other with you via video on your daily walk or run, or hike together on the weekends. Show each other beautiful parts of the areas where you live, such as parks, bike trails, and beaches.
Long Distance Relationship Quotes
Sometimes there's nothing like a quote to encapsulate your feelings for your far-off partner. If you're looking for the perfect words to include in long distance relationship messages, here are some of our shamelessly romantic favorites:
- “In true love the smallest distance is too great and the greatest distance can be bridged.” - Hans Nouwens
- “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” - Kahlil Gibran
- “I exist in two places, here and where you are." - Margaret Atwood
- “Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great.” - Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
- “Our hours in love have wings; in absence, crutches.” - Miguel de Cervantes
- “I fell in love with her when we were together, then fell deeper in love with her in the years we were apart.” - Nicholas Sparks
- “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” - Charles Dickens
- “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” - Aristotle
- “Distance means so little, when someone means so much.” - Tom McNeal
- “I believe in the immeasurable power of love; that true love can endure any circumstance and reach across any distance.” - Steve Maraboli