Sometimes the most meaningful gifts are the most inexpensive. A great inexpensive gift may be homemade, or have special significance to the person you're gifting it to.
Inexpensive doesn't have to mean that the gift is less important, or that you care less. In fact, it can mean that you put more thought into finding a present that will surprise the recipient or show them how well you know them.
How to find the perfect heartfelt gift that won't break the bank? We've put together some of our favorite picks for every budget, taste, and occasion (you're welcome!). Whether you're searching for gifts for your significant other, best friend, sibling, or parent, here are some our top meaningful and affordable options.
- Fingerprint Art Bookmarks. Fingerprint art bookmarks are a great gift for little ones to make for their favorite big people. My children loved making these when they were little and were excited about having a gift they made to give to others.
- Homemade Gift Basket. A gift basket filled with goodies makes an excellent hostess or teacher gift, and can be a great way to lavish your loved one with little meaningful presents. The possibilities are endless! Try filling your baskets with items from the kitchen like jams, jellies, cookies, breads, muffins. They're even better if they're homemade! Or fill up a basket with things for the bathroom like soaps, massage oil, candles, and a scented room diffuser. For kids, try adding toys, games, puzzles, coloring books, crayons, and stickers.
- Gift Card. A gift card is always a thoughtful gift because it allows the receiver to choose what they want or need without feeling obligated to buy something they don't really want or need. It's also a great way to get someone on your shopping list something they might not normally purchase themselves. For instance, if you're buying a gift for a friend who loves coffee but hasn't bought herself one yet this year, consider giving her a gift card to Starbucks to help her out. She'll love you forever.
- Custom Nail Polish. Does the person you're gifting love spa days, fashion, and makeup? Custom nail polish could be a fun, inexpensive gift they'll love. Colors come in a dizzying array of options, and can be personalized for all ages and styles.
- Personalized Book. Books are timeless, affordable, and easy to personalize. If you're looking for a unique gift idea, consider getting a personalized book for someone in your life. It could be a child, parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt/uncle, cousin, friend, co-worker, boss, teacher, coach, mentor, etc. There are many different ways to customize a book, including using a blank book, writing inside the front cover, stamping images onto pages, drawing pictures, creating collages, or covering the entire book with fabric.
- Personalized Phone Case. Personalized phone cases are another fun and creative gift idea. Not only do they protect your cell phone, but they add personality as well. Choose from designs featuring popular characters, sports teams, holidays, movies, TV shows, music artists, food, travel destinations, and much more.
- Handmade Crafts. Handmade gifts can feel particularly special. From pottery to jewelry, painting to sewing, there’s no end to the variety of craft ideas available. Homemade gifts are ideal for those hard-to-shop-for friends and
- A Mini Waffle Maker. Perfect for the foodie in your life, waffles makers conjure visions of comfort food and lazy weekends at home. This mini version will fit perfectly on any countertop and is perfect for breakfast in bed, brunch with family, or entertaining.
- A handmade soap kit. Handmade soap kits come with everything needed to make your own bar of soap—from oils and lye to molds and labels. And since making soap isn't difficult, it's a project that almost anyone can master. This is the perfect gift for anyone who loves DIY projects, bath products, and natural self-care.
- A family cookbook to pass down. Whether your giftee is a new mom or dad, an aspiring chef or baker, or just someone who enjoys cooking, a cookbook makes a thoughtful gift that everyone in the family can enjoy together. Pick up some recipes, then wrap them in cute packaging and include a handwritten card (or a funny story about when you first tried to cook something together!).
- A monogrammed notebook. A simple yet elegant way to give someone you love a little extra pampering, a personalized journal offers a place to write down thoughts and dreams, plans for the future, bucket lists, or notes for a novel or memoir.
- An embroidered pillow. Embroidery has been around for centuries, and its popularity continues today. Pillows have long been used for both decorative purposes and support, so why not create one that doubles as a work of art? Start by choosing a design that speaks to the recipient, whether it’s a favorite picture, phrase, or pet picture.
- Mason Jar Cozies. These adorable cozies are sure to become a household favorite! Fill each jar cozy with a small treat like candies, nuts, dried fruits, coffee beans, tea bags, or even a bottle of wine. The jars can also be filled with other fun goodies like candy canes, popcorn, pretzels, or even a few marshmallows.
- A handcrafted wooden box. Wooden boxes are always useful, but they're especially handy when giving away items that need to stay put until they're opened. Choose from a variety of sizes, shapes, and finishes, including painted wood, distressed, and stained.
- A set of candles. Candles add warmth and ambiance to any room, and there are endless ways to personalize these votives. Add a candle holder, a ribbon, and a tag to make them more special.
- Coffee table books. Coffee tables are often overlooked as a spot to display artwork, photos, or knickknacks, but they're especially great for displaying beautiful books. Try gifting oversized, display-worthy books about a subject they love, like photography, beaches, cats, or astronomy.
- A Treasure Hunt. Looking for a gift that's not only inexpensive, but fun? Create your own treasure hunt with clues and little gifts that lead closer and closer to the final present. Try five clues and small gifts on a birthday, Valentine's Day, or anniversary.