We've all heard that romance fades in long-term relationships. After a few years of passion, we get comfortable with our partners and stop surprising each other. But with a little effort, you can keep the spark alive and reignite the excitement you felt when you first met.
One of the best ways to keep the passion from fading is with romantic gifts. Gifts aren't just the exchange of material things; they can represent how important our partner is to us. The right gift shows that we know and understand them, and care enough to choose something that will have meaning to them.
Here are some ideas for romantic gifts that will help your relationship stay passionate:
- Romantic Dinner Date. A candlelit dinner date is a classic way to romance your partner and spend quality time together. Try taking turns choosing romantic restaurants and new spots to try, and reserving a regular night for just the two of you.
- Spa Day. Treat your significant other to a spa day at home. You don't need to go to a fancy spa to enjoy a relaxing massage or facial. Check out DIY spa recipes for homemade facials and massages, light some scented candles, and create a home retreat where your SO can relax and feel pampered.
- Getaway Weekend. Nothing beats being alone with someone special. Plan a romantic getaway by booking a hotel room near a beautiful natural setting like a lake, beach or mountainside. Or plan a fun adventure such as hiking, biking, kayaking, or even rock climbing.
- Massage Stones. Give the gift of closeness and relaxation with a set of massage stones. These stones are made from volcanic ash and contain minerals that promote healing and relaxation. Make your gift complete with a bottle of massage oil and a scented massage candle.
- Dance Lesson. Take your partner dancing! Whether it's salsa, tango, ballroom, or swing, dance lessons are an affordable and easy way to add new moves to your repertoire. And if you're feeling creative, make your lesson more meaningful by including a song that represents what makes your love special.
- Heart Map Print. Remind your SO of the exciting early days of your relationship with a heart-shaped map print. Choose the place where you met, your hometowns, the location of your wedding or first date, or anyplace that's special to both of you. Customize it with your names and the date, and gift it to your partner for an anniversary or other important day in your relationship.
- Sound Wave Art. Take a song that's special to both of you and turn it into art! Sound waves create distinct vertical lines that are unique to each song, and make for eye-catching contemporary art. You can have it printed on stretched canvas, giclee paper, or framed paper in the color of your choice. To make it feel even more personal, add your names, the song you've chosen, a date, or other special memories.
- Couples Massage. This is a great idea for those who want to show their appreciation but don't have the funds to pay for a full spa treatment. Instead, treat your partner to a couples massage. Choose a therapist who specializes in couples' massage. Then book a session at a local salon or spa.
- A USB Mixtape. Give your partner a custom mix tape using songs that remind you both of your relationship. Include your favorite romantic music, some of your favorite songs from when you were dating, your wedding song, or other meaningful songs from the past and present.
- Massage Candle. What’s more romantic than candlelight and a massage? This candle combines the two. Burn the candle for 10 to 20 minutes, blow it out, wait for the oil to cool a little, and use the liquified oil to give your partner a soothing massage. Massage candles make a great Valentine’s Day or date night gift.
- Preserved Flowers. Preserved roses take the typical romantic bouquet and step it a notch. Preserved roses not only look (and usually smell) beautiful, they can last for years. Though most preserved roses are on the pricey side, you can also choose from hydrangeas and other types of blooms that add a stylish touch to any room. Perfect as a birthday and anniversary gift, preserved flowers are both chic and romantic.
- Cartoon Couples' Portrait. Give your partner a gift that's as lighthearted as it is romantic. A cartoon drawing from one of your couples' pictures is a fun way to celebrate your relationship, and can be customized with your names, the date of the photo, or other romantic details.
- Customized Star Map. Written in the stars! Create a custom map of the night sky as it appeared the night you and your partner met, got married, or experienced another important milestone. Each map is created using professional astronomy software that charts the position of the stars and planet on your chosen date and location.
- Long Distance Touch Bracelets. If you and your bae are far apart but want to keep the spark alive, long distance touch bracelets can help you stay connected. Every time you touch your bracelet, your partner's will vibrate and light up and vice versa. Even if you live in the same city, touch bracelets can be a great way to feel close and let your partner know you're thinking of them.
- An Experience. Studies show that couples who experience new things together are typically happier and feel closer than couples who don't. Try gifting your significant other an experience you can share, such as a cooking class, white water rafting, a wine tasting, a vacation to someplace you both want to see, scuba diving lessons, or a couples' spa day.
- Love Coupons. Try making your own love coupons and giving them to each other to use whenever the mood strikes. Coupons for affection, doing dishes, sex, an intimate talk, or snuggling are not only fun to create and share, but can help bring you closer by putting you both in the spirit of giving.