So you’ve decided to take the plunge and buy a sex toy. Yay! You start your search and find what feels like a wealth of low-priced toys on big retail websites (cough *Amazon* cough). Great, right? What could possibly go wrong? Who cares where it comes from and what it’s made of?
Your body, that’s who!
There’s a very important reason we sell only body-safe toys made from premium materials. Actually, there are several reasons, and here they are:
- Infections. Sex toys made from PVC (also known as jelly rubber), vinyl, or certain types of plastic can absorb bacteria, making it impossible to wash off. What happens next? The bacteria stays inside your toy and grows. This can cause yeast or other vaginal infections, including certain sexually transmitted infections (STIs). If ever there were a reason to avoid cheap sex toys, this is it.
- Smell. Low-cost toys often start to smell, sometimes only a few times after you’ve used them. Why? Again, they can absorb bacteria. And bacteria you can’t wash off starts to smell. And it's not a subtle smell, either.
- Sensation. Think toys from discount manufacturers feel like the real deal when you use them? We’re here to tell you: they don’t. Sex toys are actually complex electronic devices that are designed to create a particular kind of sensation. Cheap toys usually feel “buzzy,” which is a surface kind of vibration that can quickly overstimulate your nerves and make you feel numb instead of orgasmic. And nobody wants that! We prefer good quality, rumbly vibrators that don’t tire out your nerves and stimulate your entire clitoral network (or for men, the entire nerve structure of the penis and prostate). In other words, high quality toys just feel better!
- The fake factor. You've heard about fake products on Amazon, and they're not restricted to handbags! A majority of the brand-name sex toys on Amazon aren't genuine. Many top brands like Njoy don't allow their products to be sold on Amazon, and strictly control the price to cut down on knockoffs and reselling. If the price of a toy looks too good to be true, it is.
- Chemicals. Materials that aren't body-safe can degrade, melt, and leach toxic chemicals into your bloodstream through the mucous membranes in your vagina, mouth, or anus. These chemicals include phthalates, which may be carcinogenic, cause heart attacks, and can disrupt the delicate balance of hormones in your body. Phthalates are also linked to low sperm counts and the feminization of animals.
- Noise. Want to engage in some discreet solo play on the down low? Don’t buy a Jeff Bezos special! Manufacturers of cheap toys save money by using bottom-dollar motors and other parts that rattle, buzz, or alert people around you to your self-care activities. Definitely a big turn off.
- Durability. If you’d like your new toy to stick around for a while, make sure it’s made from quality materials that won’t degrade or fall apart in a few weeks. Low cost toys not only look, feel, and smell like close-out specials, they last like them, too.
- Ethics. When you buy from Amazon, you aren't buying from companies that pay their workers a fair wage and carefully choose only the highest quality toys. When you buy from Amazon, you're buying from a company that makes their warehouse workers pee into plastic bottles instead of giving them bathroom breaks, fights the unionization of their employees, and uses your hard-earned money to send billionaires into space on penis-shaped rockets.
- There are plenty of great, budget toys that aren't on Amazon. You don’t have to compromise on quality or give yourself an infection to save a few bucks! When shopping for a sex toy that's perfect for newbies, gifting, or just adding to your growing collection, look for one made by a trusted manufacturer and crafted from premium, body-safe silicone. We carry lots of toys that are safe to use and won't break the bank! Check out our 50 under $50 collection, or search our site by choosing the “price low-to-high” option under each toy category. No matter what your budget, we've got you covered!
Want to learn more about why body-safe toy materials are the way to go? Read What Is Body-Safe Silicone?